Click to resize the text + -

Nebraska Department of Veterans' Affairs

Waiver of Tuition Program

Dependents of an eligible veteran may be authorized for a waiver to cover 100% of tuition charges and tuition-related fees to the University of Nebraska campuses, Nebraska state colleges and Nebraska community colleges. Applications are submitted to the Nebraska Department of Veterans' Affairs by contacting the County Veterans' Service Office nearest the applicant's place of residence.

The University of Nebraska, the Nebraska State College System, and the Nebraska Community College System participate in a waiver of tuition program that will provide a credit of 100% of tuition charges and tuition-related fees (books are NOT covered) for spouses & children of eligible veterans; as set forth in NE Revised State Statute 80-411.


Waiver of Tuition is available to eligible dependents of veterans who:

  • are rated permanently and totally disabled as a result of military service; or
  • have died of a service connected disability; or
  • have died subsequent to discharge as a result of injury or illness sustained while a member of the armed forces; or
  • have been classified as missing in action or a prisoner of war during armed hostilities while a member of the armed forces.

A dependent is a spouse or surviving spouse, child, step-child, or adopted child of an eligible veteran. The dependent must be a Nebraska resident & enrolled in one of the approved institutions, meeting residency requirements for in-state tuition.

The waiver is valid for ONE degree, diploma, or certificate from a community college; and ONE baccalaureate degree from the university or a state college. Receipt of the degree, diploma, or certificate shall precede receipt of such baccalaureate degree. Waiver of Tuition is not available for master's, doctoral, or professional degrees.

A child dependent's eligibility will cease at the age of 26. The only exception is if the child dependent served on active duty with the armed forces after their 18th birthday, but before their 26th birthday. If this is the case, the student's eligibility for waiver will end 5 years after their 1st discharge from active duty, but shall not exceed beyond their 31st birthday.


Approved Institutions

  • University of Nebraska (Kearney, Lincoln, Omaha, UNMC, School of Tech Ag)
  • Chadron State College
  • Peru State College
  • Wayne State College
  • Central Community College (Columbus, Grand Island, Hastings, Holdrege)
  • Metropolitan Community College
  • MidPlains Community College (McCook, North Platte)
  • Northeast Community College
  • Southeast Community College (Beatrice, Lincoln, Milford)
  • Western Nebraska Community College (Alliance, Scottsbluff, Sidney)

Waiver of Tuition School Contacts (Updated: 05/04/2016)


In-State Residency Requirements

In order for a student to receive a waiver of tuition, they must meet the Nebraska residency standards for in-state tuition. NE R.S.S. 85-502 defines the minimum requirements that individuals must meet in order to be eligible for in-state tuition. If the residency requirement has not been met, the student will experience a delay in receiving the waiver of tuition until those requirements are met.


How to Apply for Waiver of Tuition

As required by NE R.S.S. 80-411, applications must be submitted through a County Veterans Service Office.

Applications must be submitted in time for proper processing and certification PRIOR to the beginning of any school term. The NE Department of Veterans' Affairs cannot be held responsible for any delay not attributable to its processing of the application.

A new Waiver of Tuition application will need to be submitted if you:

  • have never applied for Waiver of Tuition before;
  • change schools;
  • do not attend a term, other than the summer term; or
  • take additional classes at another school

If you have not previously applied for Waiver of Tuition, the following documents will need to be submitted with your application:

  • Veteran's Discharge Certificate (DD Form 214)
  • Copy of a Certified Birth Certificate on file with Vital Statistics for the child-dependent; or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. A copy of the Hospital Memorabilia Birth Certificate will not be accepted.
    • The veteran's name MUST be listed on the document. If it is not, other legal documents from the court may be used to prove relation (i.e. adoption papers, child support order, divorce decree, etc.)
  • Copy of a Marriage Certificate on file with Vital Statistics
    • If the applicant is a spouse, this document is needed to prove marriage to the veteran.
    • If the applicant is a step-child, this document is needed to prove the parent and veteran's marriage.
    • If the veteran's child-dependent is married, this document is needed to prove the name change.