Veterans Crisis Line: dial 988 then press 1
Official Nebraska Veterans' Affairs Seal

Nebraska Department of Veterans' Affairs

Reservist Tuition Credit Program

Nebraska residents who are members of a Nebraska-based unit of the Active Selected Reserve may be eligible for a 75% tuition credit (or 50% if pursuing a graduate or professional degree). Tuition credit may be granted to 200 applicants each calendar year who are attending University of Nebraska campuses, Nebraska state colleges or Nebraska community colleges.

The University of Nebraska, the Nebraska State College System, and the Nebraska Community College System participate in a tuition credit program that will provide a credit for 75% of the tuition charges (or 50% if pursuing a graduate or professional degree) for members of Nebraska-based units of the Active Reserve of the armed forces of the United States; as set forth in NE Revised State Statutes 80-901, 80-902 & 80-903.


This program is limited to 200 NEW applications per calendar year.


Reservist Tuition Credit info sheetEligibility

To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:

  • A current Nebraska resident
  • A member of a Nebraska-based Active Selected Reserve Unit
  • Have agreed to serve a minimum of 3 years in the reserves
  • Pursuing a course of study leading to a diploma, certificate, or degree
  • There is no lifetime limit on tuition credit for any qualifying member

In-State Residency Requirements

In order for an active reservist to receive the tuition credit, they must meet the Nebraska residency standard for in-state tuition. NE R.S.S. 85-502 defines the minimum requirements that individuals must meet in order to be eligible for in-state tuition. If the residency requirement has not been met, the reservist will experience a delay in receiving the tution credit until those requirements are met.

Approved Institutions

Directory of School Authorized Representatives

  • University of Nebraska (Kearney, Lincoln, Omaha, UNMC, NCTA-Curtis)
  • Chadron State College
  • Peru State College
  • Wayne State College
  • Central Community College (Columbus, Grand Island, Hastings, Holdrege)
  • Metropolitan Community College
  • MidPlains Community College (McCook, North Platte)
  • Northeast Community College
  • Southeast Community College (Beatrice, Lincoln, Milford)
  • Western Nebraska Community College (Alliance, Scottsbluff, Sidney)

How to Apply for Reservist Tuition Credit

If you have never applied for Reservist Tuition Credit before, you will need to complete an application.

If you have been approved for Reservist Tuition Credit and are starting a new term at school, you will need to complete a
Re-certification Form.


Instructions for Completing an Application for Reservist Tuition Credit

The Reserve Unit will fill out an original application with the reservist. The Commanding Officer certifies that the reservist's performance is satisfactory and signs the application. Submit the application directly to NDVA via our secure upload.
Alternatively, applicants can mail the application to the following address:

Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs
ATTN: Reservist Tuition Credit
PO Box 95083
Lincoln NE 68509-5083

Once our office receives the application, we will review it for statutory compliance and verify that it is completed correctly. If the applicant meets the criteria and the number of entitlements allowed each calendar year has not been exceeded, our office will notify the student of their eligibility. It will be the student's responsibility to present their application and NDVA's approval letter to their school. Students should obtain the original copies for their records to be used in the future, if needed.

Prior to the beginning of each subsequent term, the reservist will need to complete a Re-certification Form & submit it to the school to continue receiving the Tuition Credit.


Application for Reservist Tuition Credit


Instructions for Completing a Re-certification Form for Reservist Tuition Credit

The Re-certification Form needs to be submitted to the school.

Once a reservist has been approved for Tuition Credit, a Re-certification Form will need to be completed & signed by the Unit Commander prior to the beginning of EACH subsequent term that the reservist is returning to school. This form must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office or Student Accounts Office to continue receiving the tuition credit.