The Department of Defense Form 214 (DD 214) is an official government document and as such, may only be released to the following individuals or organizations:
- Government agencies and recognized Veteran Service Organizations (for official use only);
- Veterans requesting their own DD 214 (must show proof of identification in person or provide a notarized letter with a mailing address before the documents will be released);
- Individuals that demonstrate a legal relationship to the veteran such as an attorney or guardian;
- Family members of deceased veterans (Relationship must be established ex. death certificate);
- Family members for genealogy purposes (Relationship may need to be established; DD 214 information may be redacted;
- Third party requests (funeral homes, mortgage lenders, employers, etc.) must be arranged through a County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO) to receive a copy.
*NDVA will only certify DD 214s that were received from an official source such as the Department of Defense and reserves the right to deny any request for a DD 214.
Questions? Call 402-471-2458